Home          Contacts          News archive          ITALIAN
off

Camporovere

The village of Camporovere.

The village of Camporovere.

In the night between August 8 and 9, 1944, the fascists burned down half of the village of Camporovere, 74 houses, in retaliation against two partisan attacks happened a few hours before in Val d’Assa, a dozen kilometres north-west of the village. One of the attacks was on a German convoy near Ghertele, and the other on a group of German soldiers near the entrance of the Val Scaletta valley. The next day, the German commander gave up to burn the rest of the village in exchange for the release of the prisoners captured by the partisans. The event is celebrated in Camporovere by the local authorities and with an artistic performance.

 

 

About the Author